Essential Guide to Cleaning Muay Thai Shorts
Muay Thai shorts were modeled after boxing shorts with an almost identical look. Along the way, they started to evolve and develop into a style of their own. These days, Muay Thai shorts come in every color combination imaginable, elaborate Thai fonts and cool embroideries or patches too. Not forgetting the newest trend featuring striking all-over print as seen on YOKKAO CarbonFit shorts, made possible with dye sublimation printing. The most common fabrics used in Muay Thai shorts are satin and nylon. Satin is the number one choice and satin shorts are used in competitions and training.
Nylon is typically used in cheaper shorts for day-to-day training or sold as souvenirs in Thailand. Satin is a very hardy but also comfortable material. As a polyester blend fabric, it dries relatively fast too. Nylon is generally less hardy and can turn translucent when drenched in sweat. However, there are higher grade nylon fabrics which are nearly as comparable to satin in terms of quality with good wicking capability to keep the wearer dry and cool. While Muay Thai shorts are built to withstand the rigors of hard training and abuse, cleaning them the right way can go a long way in extending their usage lifespan.
It is also important to keep them clean for hygiene purposes, by washing away the grime and sweat that can become a hotbed of bacteria. It can be tempting to dump the shorts straight into the washing machine after a hard day of training but this can actually cause damage to the fabric. Here are some of the things to take note of when cleaning Muay Thai shorts:
- Always check the care label for washing instructions. This is provided by the manufacturer who knows what is best for the apparel.
- Hand washing Muay Thai shorts has several benefits over machine wash. There is minimal rubbing against other clothes and minimal water usage.
- On the other hand, machine wash can save a lot of time and effort. Just remember to turn the shorts inside out and use a netted laundry bag to minimize agitation and friction against other clothes.
- Whether it’s hand wash or machine wash, it is recommended to use a mild soap and avoid using bleach to reduce color fading.
- As most Muay Thai shorts use polyester blend fabric, they dry easily and quickly even indoors. Tumble dry can cause fiber tearing on a microscopic level which in turn shortens the fabric lifespan in the form of tears and holes. Direct sun drying may also hasten the color fading. Indoor air drying will suffice.
That is all there is to it. With proper care and washing, Muay Thai shorts can last for years even under regular training conditions.
YOKKAO Muay Thai Shorts
YOKKAO offers a wide selection of Muay Thai shorts designs from traditional style to the popular Carbon shorts launched in 2012 and the latest CarbonFit series. Each collection comes with its own unique style and characteristic but all of them offers one common trait: top quality and unrivaled designs. Head over to yokkao.com now and shop the coolest Muay Thai shorts in the market!